- 1/4 cup lime juice (from about 3 limes)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce (optional - leave out for a vegetarian or vegan dish)
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- Lime wedges, to serve
- 1 head green cabbage
- Grapeseed or canola oil
Heat a gas or charcoal grill. Whiz the limes, olive oil, fish sauce, garlic, cilantro, salt, cayenne, and sugar in a small chopper or blender until the sauce is pale orange and the garlic is pulverized. Set aside.
Remove the loosest, toughest outer leaves from the cabbage, and cut into 8 evenly sized wedges. Do not remove the stalk or inner core. Lightly brush the wedges with grapeseed or canola oil.
Place the wedges on the grill and cover. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the edges of each layer are blackened and the cabbage is beginning to soften. Flip each wedge over, cover the grill, and cook for an additional 5 to 7 minutes on the other side. Remove the cabbage when it is beginning to wilt, but is still firm in the middle. (This will also be somewhat a matter of taste; I like it fairly crispy still, but you may prefer it more well-done.) If necessary, turn the heat down or move the wedges to a cooler part of the grill so they don't burn. But don't be afraid of those blackened edges; you want a lot of grill and char marks on the cabbage to give it smoky flavor.
Take the cabbage off the grill and arrange the wedges on a plate. Pour the dressing over top and serve immediately, with wedges of lime to garnish.
Serves 8 as a side dish
Health Benefits of Cabbage & Lime! ❤
* Cabbage, is known to reduce the risk of a number of cancers, especially lung, colon, breast, ovarian stomach and bladder cancer.
* Cabbage is a muscle builder, blood cleanser and eye strengthener.
* The juice of fresh raw cabbage has been proven to heal stomach ulcer.
* Cabbage provides high levels of iron and sulphur, minerals that work in part as cleansing agents for the digestive system.
* Juice of fresh cabbage is effective in treating fungus infection(due to it sulfur content).
* Cabbage boosts the immune system's ability to produce more antibodies.
* Cabbage can lower serum cholesterol.
* Red Cabbage has more phytonutrients than the green cabbage. The vitamin C content of red cabbage is 6-8 times higher than that of the green cabbage.
* Cabbage is a rich source of tartronic acid. This acid converts excess sugar and fat in human body. In a way it controls carbohydrates and fat. Thus, it becomes the best slimming agent. Weight loss, thus, becomes yet another health benefit of cabbage.
* Cabbage is also a very good source of dietary fiber, manganese, vitaminB6 and folate, and a good source of thiamin, riboflavin, calcium, potassium, Vitamin A, tryptophan, protein and magnesium.
* Limes are strongly sour, thus encouraging secretions in the digestive tract and salivary glands. These secretions improve taste, digestion, and regular elimination (functioning as a mild laxative).
* Limes are acidic in taste yet alkaline in effect. They nourish deficient blood plasma and help rebuild fluids. Their high vitamin C content nourishes the blood. Like lemons, they reduce acidity in the stomach while also reducing uric acid and output of urinary calcium, helping to prevent kidney stones.